TRIPAWDS: Home to 12541 Members and 1440 Blogs.

Tripawds Supporter sites have no ads!

Update on Buddy

Tripawds is a user-supported community. Thank you for your support!

Well, as you might have read over on Nikki’s Blog, things have been going pretty good with Buddy’s sister and her cancer journey.

I wish I could claim the same good news for Buddy.

As you might remember, Buddy was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma in his right hind leg, and we pretty much figured that we’d caught it in time. We were also fortunate to get him into a pallative study at CSU that would spare his leg and yet still treat the cancer.

For the first 2 treatments (every 30 days), things were progressing normally and Buddy was doing fantastic. However about a week after his second treatment, we noticed that Buddy was starting to lose his appetite and just didn’t want to eat. He seemed fine everywhere else, was a happy dog, and had a great attitude, but just didn’t want to eat.

We called the folks at CSU and brought Buddy up to see them last week. After looking at him and doing some tests, it appears that the Duramax (a required pain medication as part of the study) had destroyed his kidneys. The reason he wasn’t eating was because his stomach was so full of acid. The protocol to try and solve this was intense IV therapy and 5 days of hospitalization to try and get the kidneys restarted. Even then no real guarantee, and the recommendation was to effectively end his life.

Well, being the types that like to get a second opinion on every major decision, we decided to let Dr. Pyne take a look at Buddy and see what she could see. She recommended that we bring him in and drop him off for 2 days of therapy (with being allowed to go home over night) and then see what the kidney tests show. If they showed improvement, then maybe we could get the kidneys going again..

Buddy spend both Friday and Saturday in the hospital hooked up to fluid IVs, and then Saturday evening the kidney tests were run again. The tests showed slight improvement on 2 of 3 tests, and major improvement on the last. The two tests that were only slightly improved were still in the range to cause concern, so Dr. Pyne suggested we give him a couple days rest, and then see if we couldn’t get him to eat and maybe kick-start those kidneys.. Today Buddy seems as if he might be pulling out of it. He’s eating much better, and is acting very much like he’s not in the same pain that he was before..


Keep your fingers crossed for Buddy. We really need him to pull through this, as the cancer seems to be the least of our problems right now, and honestly the radiation treatment seemed to do the trick there, as he’s been running and jumping like normal.

To remove ads from your site and others, upgrade to a Tripawds Supporter blog!

9 Responses to “Update on Buddy”

  1.   jakesmom Says:

    OMG! I’m so sorry to hear about what Buddy has been going through. 🙁 I hope and pray that he pulls through this… and can continue being a happy tripawd with Nikki!

    Please keep us posted!!

    Angel Jake’s Mom

  2.   Carmen (Catie's Mom) Says:

    Oh, Buddy’s have a tough time. I’m so sorry!

    Sending many positive thoughts and healing wishes for your guy.

  3.   Mackenzie's Mom Says:

    Oh sorry to hear what you’re going through with Buddy – sounds very traumatizing and scary. We will definitely be keeping our paws crossed and sending you lots of healing thoughts for Buddy. Hope he pulls through this with flying colors. Please let us know how he’s doing.
    Kami (Mackenzie’s Mom)

  4.   admin Says:

    Hang in there Buddy, you’re in good hands. We look forward to hearing how well you’ve bounced back soon.

  5.   etgayle Says:

    paws crossed that buddy gets through all this kidney stuff!!! sounds like you have excellent folks working to get him better. healing thoughts and blessings coming your way!!!

    gayle & charon

  6.   krun15 Says:

    Hi Ted,
    Sorry to hear of Buddy’s troubles. There is a Yahoo Group called K9Kidneys that someone here told me about when my pug Maggie was diagnosed with stage 1 kidney failure. I did not get a chance to ineract with them much as Mag’s diagnosis of a second type of cancer followed. I have some links to kidney sites at home (I’m at work now) I can send you if you are interested. Send me a PM or eamil and I can forward them tonight.
    Karen and the pug girls

  7.   SaraP&Tasha Says:

    I’m sorry to hear of Buddy’s kidney issues. I’ve been a lurker in your forums for Nikki and Buddy for a while and really wish you the best. Your comments and journey have really helped me with my baby Tasha’s journey. She is also a Rottie with osteosarcoma, had to have the leg amputation and is now dealing with the kidney issues from her meds. I’ll be thinking of you and Buddy, good luck!

  8.   anyemery Says:

    I’m so sorry to hear about Buddy’s kidney problems. We’re sending lots of healing thoughts your way… and will keep Buddy in our hearts and prayers that he can turn this around.
    Holly, Zuzu and Susan

  9.   admin Says:

    We hope Buddy is doing better… just (finally) posted the video of Nikki and Buddy from the Colorado Springs pawty in the forums.